Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Logan's farewell



Sacrament meeting talk
6/22/2014
Logan's farewell

GMB&S  my name is Logan Draper
It is my pleasure to speak to you today before I depart on my mission. For those of you who do not know I have been called to the Nebraska Omaha Mission, Spanish speaking

I.        I would like to begin by sharing a story with you (Ammon, Alma 17:18 Alma 19)
II.     I would like to focus my remarks today around a talk given in the October 2012 General Conference by Sister Ann Dibb titled, "I know it. I live it. I love it."
A.     We often are intimidated by the story of Ammon.
B.      I would like to show you how I have used the example of Ammon, and people in my own life to better prepare for my mission, and life.
III.  I'm a Mormon
A.     As Sister Dibb said "The first part of the statement is a self-assured, unapologetic declaration: Im a Mormon.  I hope we will never be afraid or reluctant to acknowledge, Im a Mormon. We should be confident, as was the Apostle Paul when he proclaimed, For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth. "
B.      Ammon,  is a disciple of Christ. He boldly declares this, in Alma 18:34-35          "Ammon said unto him: I am a man; and man in the beginning was created after the image of God, and I am called by his Holy Spirit to teach these things unto this people, that they may be brought to a knowledge of that which is just and true;"35 And a portion of that Spirit dwelleth in me, which giveth me knowledge, and also power according to my faith and desires which are in God."
C.      In my own life an example, which is much more applicable and real to me, is my older brother Travis. Travis and I are your typical set of brothers, we have fought, laughed, and run together(because that is what we call fun), but more importantly he's been a great example to me. Travis didn't do anything grand, he has done two simple things.
1.       Followed all of the guidelines in the For the Strength of Youth.
2.       He is a Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has followed the example of Ammon and Sister Dibb by declaring I'm a Mormon to the people of Mexico.


IV.  I know it
A.     As Sister Dibb stated, "All truth and knowledge is important, but amidst the constant distractions of our daily lives, we must especially pay attention to increasing our gospel knowledge so we can understand how to apply gospel principles to our lives. As our gospel knowledge increases, we will begin to feel confident in our testimonies and be able to state, I know it. "
B.      Ammon is a fantastic example from the scriptures of someone who knows it. Ammon in Alma 18:36-40 tells King Lamoni of all the scriptures from the creation to the present time. He then expounded to King Lamoni the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
C.      An example to me of people who, "Know it," would be my seminary teachers, my Sunday school teachers and the many great returned missionaries I know. These individuals dedicate, and have dedicated, their time to knowing and understanding the Gospel. They know the Scripture Mastery verses, they know the stories in the scriptures, and they give examples from their own lives about how they have seen the Gospel in action. Like Ammon they share them. More importantly in my life they have taught me (give example(s)).
V.     I live it (in teaching me the way to know it I have learned to live it, as the next part of Sister Dibb's talk states)
A.     "Next is the statement, I live it. The scriptures teach that we must be doers of the word, and not hearers only.We live the gospel and become doers of the word by exercising faith, being obedient, lovingly serving others, and following our Saviors example. We act with integrity and do what we know is right at all times and in all things, and in all places6 no matter who may or may not be watching."
B.      The story of Ammon relates a great example of living the Gospel. When the flocks were scattered he did not weep, he set to work doing as he was commanded by the King. When the flocks were again threatened he rose up and defended them. And when the flocks were returned to the King's fields, his fellow servants went to tell King Lamoni what had happened. Meanwhile Ammon was at work preparing the King's chariot for travel as he and his fellow servants had been commanded to do once the flocks were watered.
C.      Two people who have been profound influences on me have been my Mom and Dad. I have watched them and they are, "doers of the word and not hearers only." They also have been examples to me in how to bring the gospel into my life everyday. I have vivid memories as a child going to find my mom in the mornings, and she would be kneeling by her bed praying. My Dad would gather the family each night for scripture study. My dad has also shown me how to work by his example (expound). I hope I can follow the example of my parents.
VI.  I love it (my parents have been wonderful examples of loving the gospel by (example)
A.     Sister Dibb concluded with "I love it. Gaining a knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and diligently living gospel principles in our everyday lives leads many members of the Church to exclaim enthusiastically, I love the gospel!"
B.      Ammon is a great example of someone who loves the gospel. He put his own life in peril to bring the gospel to the Lamanites, a people who were so often considered enemies of his own people, the Nephites. At the end of his mission Ammon and his Brethren gathered together again.  Ammon shows his love  in  Alma 26:13-16 when he says   "Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice? Yea, we have reason to praise him forever, for he is the Most High God, and has loosed our brethren from the chains of hell. Yea, they were encircled about with everlasting darkness and destruction; but behold, he has brought them into his everlasting light, yea, into everlasting salvation; and they are encircled about with the matchless bounty of his love; yea, and we have been instruments in his hands of doing this great and marvelous work. Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel."
C.      My testimony and love of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment